Many taxpayers rent out homes using online rental services (such as Airbnb, VRBO and HomeAway) that connect property owners with prospective renters,. When a taxpayer rents property for a short period, special taxation rules come into play. The rental income may not be taxable at all, might be reported on Schedule E or might have to be reported on Schedule C as a trade or business.